In Brisbane we picked up a rental car. Ellen has years of experience driving here. I am having a hard time with the driving on the opposite side of the road, and I am not even behind the wheel. I am a dangerous pedestrian, because my instinct has me looking the wrong way when I cross the streets. They have roundabouts here at many intersections, and there is no way I could navigate the merging and lane shifting to survive driving through one of those. After nearly grabbing Ellen's arm when I thought an oncoming truck was barreling into our lane, I have reconciled myself to just have faith in her driving and just enjoy the sights.
Ellen has reminded me to bring my binoculars on this hike, as she has often seen koalas here. I was scanning the tree tops all day. In the last half mile of our hike, we finally saw one. We had a great view of him (or her). He was busy eating eucalyptus leaves and climbing aroudn to get a better angle at the leaves. His facial features were pink and his ears were very fuzzy and his claws looked super sharp. He was plump and beautiful. I wanted to take him home.
Some birds today included a pink and grey cockatoo (a gelah?), kookaburra, parrots, brush turkey,
We are staying in an amazing apartment in Coolum Beach. This is where Ellen lived for three years.
Saturday we ran on the beautiful beach for about 8 miles. It was a perfect running surface, flat, packed and smooth. The wind was strong, but at our backs, so we went back on an inland route. The ocean was very rough again, and the beaches here have lifeguard patrols 365 days a year; we did see some brave swimmers.
We drove out to the Eumundi market. It was an exciting assortment of crafts, and clothes, and paintings, and jewelry and food (ginger beer, Tibetan momos, limeade bakes goods, chili sauces...), and didgeridoos and fortune tellers and and and.... It was great fun.
These big lizards were all over the place at the spirit house.
We were invited to dinner at Ellen's friends' (Mike and Mary Ann)place right downstairs. We had a wonderful dinner. They taught me about Australian wine and slang. Mike read a classic poem, the Bush Bastard, to illustrate the colorful Aussie language. It was interesting to see that both Marianne and Kim knew most of the words to this lengthy verse.
You are just touching the surface of the many wonders of Australia.
ReplyDeletesounds fun! nice fried fish
ReplyDelete